The Morrison government has moved to reset community confidence in the National Disability Insurance Scheme, launching a review of its rules and announcing plans for a new service guarantee.
NDIS Minister Stuart Robert said on Monday former Finance Department Secretary David Tune would review the scheme’s rules and governing legislation, with a focus on how to streamline processes for participants.
Mr Robert said timeframes in some areas were unacceptable but isn’t suggesting what would be an appropriate deadline to approve applications.
People with disability are being promised they won’t have to wait as long to receive help under the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
National Disability Services Acting CEO David Moody, said providers and participants had been frustrated by delays in decision making at the agency.
“The impact can be that because they’re not able to get access to assistive technology such as a wheelchair or other tech as quickly as they’d like, it impacts their ability to lead an ordinary life which is the expectation of everyone in the community,” Mr Moody said.
Consultation will commence late-August and will involve direct consultation with the community, including an online survey and discussion paper, as well as face-to-face workshops throughout the country.
‘We are listening, and will be consulting with people with disability and their families, the disability services sector, ministers and officials from Commonwealth and state governments and the NDIA [National Disability Insurance Agency] as part of this review,’ Minister Robert said.
Advocates from the disability sector have welcomed the announcement, expressing hopes the review will help to address common complaints about people’s experiences with the scheme.