Do you have ‘lived’ experience with Asperger’s or ASD and want to give back by helping others?
ASA has always been a trusted source of information and support for people facing the challenges of Asperger’s or ASD. We’re now working on expanding, improving and future proofing this service with the introduction of a team of volunteers with ‘lived’ experience. Our first step is to recruit people with the passion and desire to ‘give back’ and assist people who, like themselves, are living with Asperger’s or ASD or who have family or loved ones living with ASD.
Once through the recruitment process, this team of volunteers will receive training and mentoring in handling the different types of enquiries we receive. They’ll have access to the information and resources needed to provide practical and timely support, information and referrals. The support will be provided over the telephone, in person or through on-line discussions – we’ll use whatever medium or technology is needed to engage and connect with the people we support.
Does this sound like a volunteer role that would interest you, or do you know someone who would be perfect for this? If so we’d love to hear from you! You could make a real difference in the lives of the people we support, and we believe what you’ll gain from the experience will be much more rewarding than just the access to training and personal development which we’ll provide! So what’s involved?
- What does the role entail? – You’ll be communicating with the people we support, either in person, on the telephone or via web based medium, and providing information about ASD, practical advice and support and/or referrals to ASA programs or other services.
- What training and support is provided? – We’ll provide a comprehensive induction into ASA, together with specific training for the role. We’ll also provide mentoring until you’re comfortable in the role. On an ongoing basis our staff will be there to support you whenever needed.
- What commitment is required? – This is both negotiable and flexible. As we’ll be putting time into training, we’d like you to commit to volunteering on a regular basis for a reasonable period, however we understand that circumstances change. There will need to be a commitment to attend training and mentoring during business hours initially.
- What attributes, skills and experience are needed? – You’ll need to be punctual and reliable and have good communication skills. Most importantly you’ll need ‘lived’ experience of Asperger’s/ASD and a desire to help others by sharing that experience.
- Do I need a background check? – We have a duty of care to ensure a safe environment for employees, volunteers & participants and in order to ensure this we need our volunteers to have the appropriate clearances (Blue Card, NDIS Worker Screening and National Police Check). We will assist you through this process.
- How do I get involved? – It’s easy. Simply click on the link at the bottom of our ‘Volunteer For Us’ page (hover over the “how can you help” heading) and complete the Expression of Interest form.
Volunteers have been the heart of ASA since the organisation was formed in 1994 and we’re really excited to be in a position to bring together a team of volunteers for this important service. Our experience tells us that lived experience is invaluable in understanding the issues and providing support of this nature.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this opportunity in more detail contact our Project Manager, Tom Moss, on 0447 257 177.
Oh, what a year it has been! From severe draught, huge bushfires, the fast-spreading Covid 19, lockdowns, working from home for a long period of...
AWETISM 2020 Virtual Expo is a free event targeted at Autistic students both primary and secondary, who are...
Latest NDIS data now available The latest NDIS public data release is now available. Highlights from this release include: 105,951 children aged 0...