Asperger Services Australia (ASA) is looking for volunteers with ‘lived’ experience of Asperger’s or ASD to assist as volunteer Coordinators of our Peer Support Groups.
Our peer support groups provide a safe and friendly environment to meet others, share stories, form friendships, have fun and to feel accepted by peers. They also provide an opportunity to learn more about living with Autism, discuss strategies to manage challenges and to celebrate strengths and successes. Our Youth and Parent groups meet at the same time and venue but in separate rooms, with the Youth groups run by experienced volunteer facilitators, many of whom have lived experience. The Coordinators will oversee the Youth group whilst being part of the Parents discussion group.
Initially we have roles coordinating our Youth and Parent groups at Virginia and Capalaba available. The Capalaba groups meet from 6pm to 7.30pm Thursday evenings and the Virginia groups meet from 6pm to 7.30pm Friday evenings. Both groups meet through the school terms and break for school holidays. The primary responsibilities for these roles will be as follows: –
- Liaise with ASA staff in regard to attendance numbers and venue information.
- Ensure venue is open and ready for the groups by 6pm.
- Provide support to Youth Group Facilitators as required.
- Ensure new participants/attendees are welcomed and integrated into the group.
- Facilitate discussions within Parents group.
- Ensure all attendees of Youth group are picked up by parents/have transport home.
- Ensure venue is left clean and tidy (as per arrival) and locked.
- Provide feedback to ASA staff in regard to both Youth and Parent groups.
Ideally we would like to have two (2) Coordinators for each of these locations to ensure coverage and support. Training and support will be provided by ASA. You’ll need to have the appropriate clearances (Blue Card, NDIS Worker Screening and National Police Check) and we will assist you through this process.
These roles will be great for people who:
- want to help other people living with ASD,
- have lived experience,
- believe in the benefits of social connection for autistic people,
- would like to broaden their knowledge of ASD,
- have, or are keen to develop, facilitation skills,
- find giving back rewarding!
If this sounds like a volunteer role that would interest you, we’d love to hear from you! You can make a real difference in the lives of the people we support, and we believe what you’ll gain from the experience will be much more rewarding than just the access to training and personal development which we’ll provide!
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this opportunity in more detail contact our General Manager, Tom Moss, on 0447 257 177 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply – click on the link at the bottom of our ‘Volunteer For Us’ page and complete the Expression of Interest form.